WASHINGTON — Jon Schaffer, a heavy metal musician and Hoosier native, turned himself Sunday in connection to the riots at the U.S. Capitol, according to the FBI.
He turned himself in around 3 p.m., Chris Bavender, public affairs specialist for the FBI Indianapolis Field Office, said.
Schaffer is charged with the following:
- Knowingly Entering or Remaining in any Restricted Building or Grounds Without Lawful Authority
- Disrupting the Orderly Conduct of Government Business
- Knowingly Engages in an Act of Physical Violence Against any Person or Property in any Restricted Building or Grounds
- Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building
- Engage in an Act of Physical Violence in a Capitol Building
- Parade, Demonstrate, or Picket in a Capitol Building
Jon Schaffer, Columbus, IN, has been arrested in connection to Jan 6 incident at the U.S. Capitol. Schaffer faces 6 charges including engaging in an act of physical violence in a Capitol building. Schaffer was allegedly among rioters who sprayed Capitol police with "bear spray."— FBI Indianapolis (@FBIIndianapolis) January 18, 2021
Schaffer, of Columbus, was born in Franklin and is the founder of the band Iced Earth.
He was seen in a photograph on a poster from the FBI seeking information after the violence at the Capitol.
This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available.