INDIANAPOLIS — As new cases of COVID-19, the novel coronavirus continue to be reported across Indiana and the nation, Gov. Eric Holcomb said the state is "remarkably prepared" to respond to the public health threat.
Holcomb said he is having weekly phone calls with Vice President Mike Pence making sure the state has the resources and agencies in place to handle the spread of the coronavirus.
"We are remarkably prepared and again you're seeing that play out right now in our coordination," Holcomb said. "Again, this is all about staying informed to the facts on the ground as they change and they will continue to change."
So far, six cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in Indiana after two new cases were confirmed on Tuesday.
"We plan to, through the state department of health, continue to put out up-to-date information on a daily basis," Holcomb said. "We will do press conferences in person as well when they are needed. But I encourage every citizen to if they feel flu-like symptoms coming on, they need to get in touch with your healthcare provider first and foremost with their doctor. That's where they're going to get the proper guidance in terms of your health."
The governor said he will be requesting more test kits as they dwindle down and the state continues to test symptomatic patients. He said he is also encouraging employers to work with their employees, as we see school districts like Avon Community Schools taking action after two students showed symptoms.
"They made the right decision for them," Holcomb said.
The governor also said Hoosiers ought not be fearful.
"There's no fear," Holcomb said. "We need to be prepared."
The Indiana State Department of Health has a 24-hour hotline to provide information to healthcare providers and the public. From 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. the number is 317-233-7125. Calls after 8 p.m. should go to 317-233-1325.