INDIANAPOLIS — Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb’s office does not have any immediate plans to issue sanctions or fines against businesses or individuals who hold gatherings of more than 50 people amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Last week, Holcomb announced the limiting of all non-essential gatherings in the state of Indiana to 250 people. The restriction was lowered Monday to 50 people, which is in line with recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
“This is a time when we must do all we can to reduce the spread of COVID-19, protect our most vulnerable populations and reduce their potential to acquire or spread this virus,” Holcomb said, via a release. “While some actions are drastic, now, not later, is the time to act.”
In an interview, Holcomb admitted there’s currently no real way to enforce the limit currently.
“Not yet,” Holcomb said. “But if challenged and if there’s community spread, then I’ll use every resource and tool under my authority to prevent further community spread. We’re not there yet.”
Holcomb isn’t ruling out enforcing limits on large events in the future.
“We’re not close to that yet, but there have been some other containment measures around the country where they are there,” Holcomb said. “That’s been contemplated, but that’s longer term.”
Even though there are not currently fines or sanctions in place, Holcomb said he strongly encourages people to abide by the guidance.