INDIANAPOLIS — Students at IU, Purdue and the University of Indianapolis are dealing with the bitter reality of the coronavirus outbreak.
The three schools announced Thursday that university-sponsored spring break student travel has been canceled.
In Bloomington, IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said the decision was made "because of the rapidly evolving nature of the outbreak and with overall concern for the health and safety of IU students. Aside from exposure risks, student travelers could become unexpectedly subject to additional U.S. and foreign travel restrictions while abroad."
In West Lafayette, Purdue Provost Jay Akridge said the decision was "guided by our top priority of the health and safety of our Purdue community. We understand that the decision to suspend international spring break travel will be a relief to some and disappointing to others."
IU is developing policies and procedures to address the academic and financial impacts of the cancellations.
At Purdue, the school had already suspended university-sponsored travel to countries with a "CDC travel advisory of level 2 or above."
In coming weeks, the University of Indianapolis will evaluate summer travel scheduled to take place beyond May 31, according to Provost Stephen Kolison.