CARMEL — Construction of a boutique hotel in downtown Carmel is continuing despite several workers on the job site testing positive for COVID-19.
Several workers contacted Call 6 Investigates with concerns about the safety of the Hotel Carmichael project and provided internal emails showing a drywall finishing employee and painting contractor tested positive for the virus.
Hotel Carmichael is a boutique hotel near the Palladium and Monon Trail, and is scheduled to open in early summer 2020.
Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb's executive order says construction is considered essential when it is “necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences.”
The president of Shiel Sexton Company, the lead contractor on the Hotel Carmichael project, told RTV6 the job site is following CDC guidelines and Holcomb's executive order.
“The safety of the trade professionals on site is paramount for the City of Carmel, the Carmel Redevelopment Commission, Pedcor and Shiel Sexton,” Kevin Hunt, president and CEO of Shiel Sexton Company, said in an email to RTV6. “The concern for safety is why the mayor has authorized all contractors working on site be given the opportunity to be tested for COVID-19. All contractors are being updated and open communication will continue.”
Hunt said the project has “essential infrastructure” and is progressing with the following safeguards in place:
- The job site is being disinfected regularly, multiple times a day in high traffic areas.
- Shifts are being staggered to minimize the amount of trade professionals on-site at any one time and overall the number of trade professional on site at any time is down over 50%.
- Social distancing is being enforced as much as reasonably possible.
- Hand-washing stations are available to everyone on site.
- Access to the elevators is limited and stairwells are now one directional.
- Medical professionals on site are completing a check-in process that includes taking everyone’s temperature.
- A questionnaire is being utilized to help prevent workers with known exposures or symptoms from accessing the site.
According to the company’s website, "Construction of Hotel Carmichael is an important step in the continued development of downtown Carmel."
“Operating under the Marriott Autograph Collection series, the hotel will be a stunning, one-of-a-kind addition to the city,” read the contractor’s website. “Each hotel blends perfectly into its surroundings with its individualized décor plan stylized by the world’s top designers.”
RTV6 is working to get a response from the City of Carmel.