HENDRICKS COUNTY — Former Tri-West High School principal Adam Benner has been formally charged with failing to properly report allegations of child abuse or neglect as required by Indiana law.
Hendricks County prosecutors filed the misdemeanor charge Wednesday in connection with the Tyler Bruce case, a teacher and coach who is now charged with child seduction.
Court records filed Wednesday show despite Benner knowing of the allegations involving Bruce and a 17-year old student, Benner did not make any contact with Bruce with regards to concerns about it.
Benner was made aware of the allegations in February 2019 after a report that Bruce and the student were working out alone together in the weight room.
At a March 1 meeting, Benner told other administrators that any further information regarding Bruce and the 17-year-old should be sent directly to him.
Benner resigned in June as the criminal investigation into Bruce was beginning.
No attorney is listed for Benner in court records.
He declined to be interviewed by law enforcement, court records show.
Benner now works as a teacher for MSD of Wayne Township.
"In light of information we received today from the probable cause affidavit filed by the Hendricks County Prosecutor's Office, and the resulting charges, the MSD of Wayne Township has placed teacher Adam Benner on administrative leave pending further action," Mary Lang, district spokeswoman for MSD of Wayne Township, said in an email statement to RTV6.
Benner is due in court on March 3.
He has been issued a summons to appear in court, which means he will not be arrested and booked into the jail.
- July 7, 2019: Anonymous tip leads to investigation of Tri-West football coach
- August 7, 2019: Hendricks County mother says school failed to protect her teen daughter from teacher, coach
- August 14, 2019: Hendricks County parents question school board over handling of sexual misconduct allegations
- August 19, 2019: School board defends decision to keep coach accused of sexual misconduct with student
- September 9, 2019: State files complaint against teaching license of coach accused of sexual misconduct with student
- September 25, 2019: School board decides Tri-West employees can return
- October 11, 2019: Outgoing North West Hendricks superintendent to receive $116K in compensation
- October 22, 2019: Hendricks County school system names interim superintendent
- October 30, 2019: School board admits "oversight" in allowing relative to vote on teacher
- November 27, 2019: Costs to school district mount as teacher criminal investigation surpasses six-month mark
- January 28, 2020: Tri-West High School teacher, coach arrested for child seduction, obstruction of justice
- January 29, 2020: Tri-West teacher deleted info from phone, removed sim card before giving it to cops, court docs say
- January 29, 2020: Ex-Tri West principal charged with failure to make a report in child seduction case