NewsCall 6 Investigates

Actions

Tri-West administrators charged with failure to report suspected sexual misconduct

begles_tri_west.jpg
Posted at 5:38 PM, Jul 31, 2020
and last updated 2020-07-31 19:38:24-04

HENDRICKS COUNTY— Hendricks County prosecutors filed criminal charges Friday against two current administrators with Tri-West High School for failure to report allegations of sexual misconduct involving a then-teacher and coach and a student at the time.

Stacey Begle, dean of students, and athletic director Nathan Begle, who are married are both charged with Failure to Make a Report, a misdemeanor.

According to court documents, the district received multiple tips in February 2019 about teacher and coach Tyler Bruce working out alone together with a female student with the door locked.

The tips also alleged an inappropriate, sexual relationship between Bruce and the student, who was 16-years-old at the time.

Prosecutors say Stacey, Nathan, and the principal at the time Adam Benner, had a meeting in which Benner told the Begles to bring any further information directly to him.

Benner said he and Nathan spoke with Bruce about no longer working out with the alleged victim, however, no one reported the allegations to the Indiana Department of Child Services or law enforcement at that time.

On May 3, attendance secretary David Pyatt saw the alleged victim and Bruce in his office with the lights off and later reported it to DCS.

PREVIOUS | Former Tri-West employee shares why he reported teacher’s alleged sexual misconduct

Following Pyatt’s report, the Hendricks County Sheriff’s Office started investigating.

When an HCSO deputy spoke to Stacey in May, Stacey told the deputy they already heard about the allegations involving Bruce and it “had already been investigated and was determined to be without merit,” court records show.

Stacey continued to bring information to Benner.

David Pyatt urged Stacey to call DCS saying she was required to report it, and Stacey said she did not consider the deputy’s or Pyatt’s observations to be “new information,” records show.

On November 4, 2019, a search warrant was granted for Bruce’s school email account and personnel record.

Court documents show there was no indication of Stacey or Nathan making any contact with Bruce in any way regarding the tips and concerned received in February 2019.

On Feb. 28, the school district announced the Begles were placed on paid administrative leave following a complaint filed by the Indiana Department of Education.

The former superintendent, Mike Springer, tried to fire the Begles in September 2019, but the board allowed them to return to their positions until the IDOE took steps against the Begles’ licenses.

IDOE is seeking to suspend the teaching licenses of the Begles and not reporting Bruce’s alleged inappropriate behavior to DCS or law enforcement.

The IDOE complaint is still pending, spokesperson Adam Baker said. A pre-hearing is scheduled for the Begles in September.

Call 6 Investigates is working to get a response from the Begles on the criminal charges as well as the North West Hendricks School Corporation.

Former Tri-West attendance secretary David Pyatt raised concerns about the Begles in an interview with RTV6, in which Nathan didn’t take the sexual misconduct allegations involving Bruce and the student seriously.

PREVIOUS | Former Tri-West employee shares why he reported teacher’s alleged sexual misconduct

The former Tri-West principal, Adam Benner, was also criminally charged with failure to report. A jury trial is scheduled for Oct. 21.

Bruce, who was subsequently fired from his teaching position, is charged with child seduction and obstruction of justice. His criminal trial is scheduled for Sept. 23.

Bruce has denied the allegations through his attorney.

PREVIOUS |Mother says Hendricks Co school failed to protect teen daughter from teacher and coach