INDIANAPOLIS — Indy Parks will be reopening four dog parks and vehicle traffic to Eagle Creek Park beginning Thursday.
The department announced Tuesday that they would be reopening the Broad Ripple Bark Park, Gordon Gilmer Canine Companion Zone, Paul Ruster Dog Park and Smock Dog Park.
Eagle Creek park has been open, but vehicle access was restricted back in April to reduce overcrowding and excessive traffic throughout the park and slow the spread of COVID-19.
The following will be in effect at Eagle Creek Park beginning May 21:
- Eagle Creek Park will remain open daily from 7 a.m.-8:30 p.m. And, effective on Thursday, the park’s gates will be staffed for admission payment or membership card entry.
- Contract vendors within the park will also begin the reopening process (check individual businesses for hours and services).
- The Eagle Creek Park Earth Discovery Center, Ornithology Center, Administrative Office, and playgrounds are still closed.
Indy Parks also announced that the Garfield Park Sunken Garden is now open daily for residents to enjoy. Parks and trails (outdoor spaces) also remain open for visitors, but they are asking all visitors to continue to follow all CDC guidelines for social distancing.
To protect the health and safety of park users, Indy Parks encourages residents to:
- Practice social distancing of 6 feet from other persons at all times.
- Do not use parks or trails if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or if you are sick.
- Avoid group or team activities.
- Do not use closed or restricted amenities until further notice.
- Stay away from crowded areas. Find another park or less crowded area to visit.
Indy Parks is still in making plans for its summer offerings, including day camp and pool schedules. Staff members are currently working with parents and guardians who have already signed up their children for day camps to discuss safe options.
Indy Parks is continuing its free meals programs, which has served more than 50,000 meals since March 16. The meal program is available for residents and their families on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at designated parks and other locations around the city.
To learn more about Indy Parks, its free meal options, and available amenities, contact the Customer Service Center at (317) 327-PARK or email IndyParksCS@indy.gov.