INDIANAPOLIS — Many parents are just now settling into the idea of e-learning. The transition can be overwhelming. There are resources available, though, to help parents and students thrive through the COVID-19 pandemic.
"A lot of parents have been thrust into this e-learning at-home instruction," Dana Yake, with Sylvan Learning, said.
With schools closed at least until May 1 in an effort to help slow the spread of the novel coronavirus, teaching and learning is looking a bit different these days.
"A lot of families come to us with their e-learning struggles not understanding what their children might be learning in school," Amber Catlin-Kolodziej, with Sylvan Learning, said.
Sylvan Learning is trying to help those families adjusting to the new normal.
"This is hopefully going to end in a month then at that point we will be back to the summer so it is important to keep them on track," Pat McCrory, a parent, said.
McCrory is relying on Sylvan for extra help for her daughter while her family shelters in place.
"My husband and I are both lawyers and although law is an essential service we've been asked to work at home," McCrory said. "I'm going stir crazy."
In the midst of following state orders, McCrory said she wants to make sure her scholar doesn't miss a beat.
Sylvan Learning Center is also offering a discount right now to parents because of the pandemic.
Below are five things parents can do to help their child succeed with online learning:
- Create a separate learning space for your child: Somewhere different from where they play.
- Make a schedule and stick to it: Never underestimate the power of a schedule.
- Reduce distractions: Sometimes limiting screen time best thing to do.
- Reach out to your child’s teacher and allow your child to interact with other students via video chats: This way you both can stay sane and sociable.
- Don't forget breaks and snack time: Routines are important, especially when your child is learning in a new environment.
For best practices for eLearning from the Indiana Department of Education click HERE.