NewsCoronavirus

Actions

Indianapolis mayor extends 'stay at home' order through May 1

Indianapolis.JPG
Posted at 5:29 PM, Apr 01, 2020
and last updated 2020-04-01 17:29:22-04

INDIANAPOLIS — The 'stay at home' order for Indianapolis and Marion County has been extended through May 1, the mayor's office announced Wednesday.

Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett and Dr. Virginia Caine, director of the Marion County Public Health Department, extended the order, which had been set to expire April 6. The order includes a "warning" travel status, the highest level of local travel emergency, and continues the order to close all non-essential business activity.

"As the spread of COVID-19 continues in Marion County, the medical data makes clear that our fighte against this deadly outbreak must continue for another month," Hogsett said. "These historic efforts are making a difference, and I want to thank residents and businesses as we come together as one city and make sacrifices that will flatten the curve and save lives."

The health department's order also orders the closure of all golf courses in Marion County beginning April 3. Other businesses with essential functions are permitted to remain open and their employees are permitted to continue traveling to work.

The mayor's latest executive order extends Marion County's "warning" travel status to May 1. He has requested the City-County Council to convene an emergency meeting to authorize the extenson of the renewed emergency declaration beyond the statutory limit of seven days.

"COVID-19 has been one of the most significant public health challenges our community has ever faced," Caine said. "We all want to resume a life that includes our favorite activities and time together with family and friends. By strictly adhering to these stay-at-home orders, we lessen the burden on our health care system and protect those who are most at-risk for complications from the virus. I urge everyone to do their part to slow the spread as we all deal with the effects of COVID-19."