FORTVILLE — Phones have been ringing off the hook at many hair salons across our area as people call in to make appointments for the first time since March when salons closed.
The owner of a Fortville hair salon talked about the changes customers can expect to see when they come in for an appointment.
It's a big day for hair salons and barber shops in Indiana as they open back up to the public but things look a little different inside as they take extra precautions to keep employees and customers alike safe.
You won't find the normal hustle and bustle inside CJ & Co Hair Designs in Fortville as they limit the number of clients allowed inside and put extra safety measures in place.
"We're using the guidelines they've given us plus we've add some more ourselves for our protection, our families protection and our clients and their families," Cindy Jackson, owner of CJ & Co Hair Designs, said.
Jackson said it's been a rough couple of months full of uncertainty.
"It was very hard," Jackson said.
Jackson said she is grateful to be able to put her stylists back to work and provide an in-demand service but wants to make sure she is doing it in a safe way. Everyone who comes in the door is required to wear a mask and have their temperature taken at the door with a no-contact thermometer. Stylists are wearing disposable aprons and changing them between each client. There is also more time between appointments to fully clean and disinfect their tools and work stations.
"It's a lot to take in," Kelly Holden, a stylist at the salon, said. "We have a lot more precautions we are taking, a lot more things to do and think about."
Stylists said so far everyone has been understanding.
"I think they are having a little fun with the masks and temperature taking and things like that and they are laughing at us in our new gear, our plastic capes and things," Holden said.
Jackson said she's hoping these measures help prevent a second shutdown. She has a message for those who think it may be too soon to reopen.
"Maybe it is but I think we have to move forward," Jackson said. "I think we have to move forward slowly and safely and that is what we are trying to do here to make it as safe as we can."
Marion, Monroe and Cass counties are still under more strict guidelines so you won't see salons opening there just yet. We're hoping to learn more about Marion County's stay-at-home-order this week. It is set to expire on Friday.