INDIANAPOLIS -- Richard Grundy Jr. will receive no time in prison for his alleged role in a multi-state marijuana trafficking ring run by his son, Richard Grundy III.
Grundy Jr. pleaded guilty Monday to one count of conspiracy to commit dealing in marijuana, a class "C" felony. The plea agreement accepted by Judge Mark Stoner comes with a set sentence of four years in prison – all suspended, except for 344 days he already served in the Marion County Jail, and the same amount in good time credit – and one year of non-reporting probation.
In exchange, Marion County prosecutors agreed to drop charges of conspiracy to commit murder, corrupt business influence and criminal gang activity against Grundy Jr.
Outside of court after his plea hearing, Grundy Jr. said he thought the state never had a strong case against him, but then declined to answer any questions. His lawyer also declined to comment on the case.
Also silent: The Marion County Prosecutor's Office, who said it would not be appropriate to talk about the case, as many related cases are still pending.
The plea is the latest evidence of mounting problems in the case against eleven alleged members of the "Grundy Crew" criminal organization.
Prosecutors pegged Richard Grundy III as the alleged ringleader of the "Grundy Crew." Click here to see all 11 people charged being members of the criminal organization.
In October 2015, Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry – joined by officials from the U.S. Attorney's Office, IMPD and ATF – held a press conference to announce murder, racketeering and drug charges against nearly a dozen members of the alleged gang.
Curry described Richard Grundy III as the "leader of a dangerous gang intent on distributing drugs in our community and promoting violence and fear to protect their illegal business operation."
Curry linked the 'Grundy Crew' to at least seven murders in Indianapolis since 2013. Read about those murders here.
Curry commended the ATF Task Force for "identifying and building cases against these eleven individuals to take them off the street and to dismantle their operation."
The investigation only result in federal charges against one member of the crew, however, Adrian Bullock – who was sentenced to 41 months in prison on weapons charges.
The remainder of the cases fell to the Marion County Prosecutor's Office to pursue. And that pursuit has been met with some roadblocks.
Last week, prosecutors agreed to drop conspiracy to commit murder, corrupt business influence and criminal gang activity charges against Bullock – who is still serving his federal sentence – in exchange for a plea of guilty to dealing in marijuana. He now faces an advisory sentence of four years in prison.
In February, a Marion County jury found the gang's alleged hitman, John Means, not guilty in a double murder case from 2014. He still faces murder charges in a separate double murder, and is in custody as of this writing in Marion County on unrelated drug and firearms charges.
Four murder charges were also dropped last year against Grundy III after a key witness was found to have lied to police about her identity. Prosecutors dropped charges against another alleged crew member, William Gammon III, in exchange for a plea of guilty to resisting arrest in November.
A number of alleged Grundy associates are still facing charges of conspiracy to commit murder, corrupt business influence, dealing in marijuana and criminal gang activity. Of those, three – Anthony Tinnin, Avery Bullock and Eric David Butler (as well as Means, on unrelated charges) – remain in custody.
Jury trials are currently scheduled for the remaining defendants for August 14.