PENDLETON — The job is demanding. The starting pay is $19 per-hour.
There are openings for correctional officers at the Pendleton Correctional Facility in Madison County. The Indiana Department of Correction plans a job fair at the prison on January 23 from 9 a.m. to noon.
The facility is located at 4490 Reformatory Road. Because of COVID restrictions, this will not be a typical job fair.
Candidates will be met in the parking lot and given forms to fill out in their vehicle. A medical screening and temperature check will take place after which job seekers will be taken inside to computers where more of the application process takes place. An in-person interview follows.
Starting pay is $19 per-hour with full state benefits. After one year, pay jumps to $20 per-hour.
Here are some job requirements listed by the DOC:
• The ability to remain awake and alert for up to sixteen (16) hours at a time.
• The ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• A working knowledge of and a familiarization with the Department of Correction and the facility rules, regulations, policies and administrative procedures.
• The ability to defends oneself physically.
• The ability to supervise and obtain results from offenders.
• The ability to react with control in emergency situations.
• The ability to act as a positive role model.
• The ability to operate security equipment.
• The ability to work within a culturally diverse environment.
• The ability to interact with offenders, co-workers and the general public.
• The ability to test negative on all drug tests.
• The ability to attend, participate and complete annual training.
• The ability to remain current on all mandatory certifications including first aid and CPR.