INDIANPOLIS — A fire that displaced 19 people Monday night at a south-side apartment complex was caused by embers from a wood-burning fireplace, according to the Indianapolis Fire Department.
Firefighters responded at 9:45 p.m. to the Lakes of Windsor Apartments in the 7400 block of Windsor Lakes Place. The fire was under control by 10:20 p.m.
A family of four living in the unit where the fire began evacuated safely but "lost everything in the fire," IFD Battalion Chief Rita Reith said in a news release.
Eight units were affected by smoke, fire or water damage and one person suffered a slight injury.
IFD Victims Assistance is working with the Red Cross and apartment management to find shelter for the 19 residents who were affected, Reith said.