INDIANAPOLIS -- For many of you, this is the day you wait for all year... Actually this day probably comes at least once or twice a week for many of you: National Wine Day.
To mark the "official" day on the calendar, here are six of the best wine bars in Indianapolis:
1. Tastings - Centrally located in downtown Indy (literally underneath the Circle Center Mall), Tastings boasts a "Wine experience", where patrons go from carousel to carousel and pour their own glasses with money they've charged to a card. It's like having a soda fountain, with different kinds of wine to choose from on it. Check that: Seven soda fountains, all with different kinds of wine. And yes, just like fountain soda, if you really wanted to, you could have all of them in one glass (although we don't recommend it).
2. Corner Wine Bar - A multi-faceted establishment, this Broad Ripple spot sticks out from the rest with their exquisite cheese offerings to go with their many tasty wines and daily wine flights. In the mood for a romantic dinner for two? Choose the front eatery. Looking to be social? Head to the back bar. How about some live music with a little more energy? The basement is for you.
3. Thirsty Scholar - Although a bit smaller than many on this list, its charm will suck you in. Located at the bottom of the old Penn Arts building, this coffee/beer/wine bar has some friendly baristas/bartenders, and you could literally stay there all day with the calm and cool atmosphere: Coffee in the morning, lunch in the afternoon, wine/beer once your work is done, and stay for the live music on the weekends, which turns the energy up a notch.
4. Louie's Wine Dive - This is a national chain, but you wouldn't know it. Their wine list is vast, and they're willing to let you sample just about anything before you get a pour. Their food is excellent too, boasting several vegetarian and gluten-free options to accommodate for all.
5. Mass Ave Wine - Voted at one point to have Indy's Best Wine List, Mass Ave Wine serves the dual purpose of grabbing a few glasses to try in a flight, some diverse snacks to eat, and you can leave with a bottle of your favorite when you're done. Mark this spot down on your next Mass Ave. bar crawl, or just pop in for a drink, or two.
6. Diavola - This cozy South Broad Ripple spot offers generous pours, and some tasty Italian-themed snacks and desserts to go with. Bring your appetite for artisan pizza, too - it pairs with just about anything.
7. Easley Winery - This urban winery primarily serves as a distribution and production facility, but in the summer, the gates open up for Groovin' in the Garden, a uniquely Indy live music/wine pairing. They have all their own stuff (plus some extras sometimes) and you'll be convinced by the time you leave that you need to have one of their products in your own home at all times.