NewsLocal News

Actions

Another mistrial in Indianapolis double murder case

Attorney illness is reason for mistrial
Posted at 11:00 AM, Jun 20, 2019
and last updated 2019-06-21 00:44:27-04

INDIANAPOLIS—On the day jurors were expected to begin deliberations in the trial of an Indianapolis man charged in a pair of 2017 murders, a mistrial was declared.

It's the second time in four months that the trial of 34-year-old Maurice Turentine has ended in a mistrial.

Lawyers are expected back in court late next week to begin preparations for a possible third trial.

The Marion County Prosecutor's office says a mistrial was declared when a defense attorney became ill.

Turentine is charged in the murders of 30-year-old Darrel Miller and 31-year-old James Clark, who were found shot to death at a home on Villa Avenue. on the city's southeast side.

Police said the murders appeared to be drug-related.

A four-year-old child was present at the time of the shootings but was not harmed.

A second suspect, Mingo Thames, was convicted by a Marion County jury last year and was sentenced to 110-years in prison.