NewsLocal News

Actions

Auto repair shop workers learn tough lesson when dealing with gas fumes

They are OK, their business is not
AutoFireOne.JPG
AutoFireTwo.JPG
AutoFireThree.JPG
Posted at 10:06 PM, Feb 04, 2020
and last updated 2020-02-04 22:08:46-05

INDIANAPOLIS — When gasoline fumes got too intense at an Indianapolis auto repair shop Tuesday, workers thought they had the perfect solution.

It didn't work. Instead, a fire that heavily damaged the business broke out.

According to Indianapolis Fire Department Battalion Chief Rita Reith, workers at the Auto Center Store on East 38th Street and North Franklin Road had emptied a gas tank on a car and put the gas in a bucket. When the fumes became too strong, they lit incense to help with the odor.

Embers from the incense found their way into the bucket and the gas went up in flames.

The workers escaped unharmed and called 911. Firefighters from Indianapolis and nearby Lawrence got there quickly and went to work. It took 40 minutes to bring the blaze under control.

The fire did not spread to adjoining businesses, but damage to the auto repair shop was heavy.