CARMEL, Ind. – The Carmel Police Department is warning people about a recent scam.
The scam involves a recorded message claiming to be from the FBI or IRS. The scammer tells the person they owe money. The person is asked to call a 765 area code number and pay a fine or they will be arrested, according to a press release from the Carmel Police Department.
The release states scammers tend to prey upon the elderly but the crimes can happen to people of all ages.
RELATED | Is it a new census form or a scam?
The Carmel Police Department suggests the following to avoid becoming a victim;
• Deal locally with people you can meet in person
• Use caution when wiring funds via Western Union, Moneygram
• Fake cashier checks and money orders are common and banks will cash them and then hold you responsible
• Never give out personal or financial information
• Avoid deals involving shipping or escrow services, only a scammer will “guarantee” your transaction.
If you have would like to report a possible scam, call 317-571-2580.