News and HeadlinesIndianapolis Local NewsCrime


Fatal pursuit suspect had warrant out for his arrest, was armed with two knives

Posted at 3:52 PM, Aug 17, 2018

INDIANAPOLIS -- Matthew Goode had a warrant out for his arrest last week when he fled an attempted traffic stop – leading police on a miles-long chase and ultimately crashing into a tree, killing his passenger.

Court records show Goode, 40, was wanted for failure to appear out of Brown County on charges of unlawful possession of a syringe, possession of methamphetamine and possession of a synthetic drug. A warrant was issued for his arrest on April 3 when he failed to appear for a court date.

Police say Goode was driving a white Sebring northbound on State Avenue near Nelson Avenue when an officer ran the plates and discovered it had been reported stolen July 23.

READ MORE | IMPD pursuit of stolen car ends in fatal crash at south side cemetery

According to a probable cause affidavit filed earlier this week, when the officer activated his light bar and attempted to stop the vehicle, Goode accelerated to approximately 60 miles per hour and fled – leading police on a chase for approximately 4.2 miles until they reached Concordia Cemetery, at the intersection of Meridian Gimber streets.

There, according to the affidavit, Goode suddenly swerved into a pursuing officer’s vehicle, causing the Sebring to travel through the cemetery fence and collide with a tree.

Officers began to conduct a high-risk felony stop, but quickly realized Goode and his female passenger, 27-year-old Tracy Sears, had were trapped in the vehicle and likely severely injured.

Police say the removed a knife that Goode was holding in his left hand and another knife on his hip to allow firefighters to safely extract him from the vehicle. Goode was transported to Eskenazi Hospital in critical condition.

Sears was pronounced dead at the scene.

On Monday, prosecutors charged Goode with one count of resisting law enforcement by operating a vehicle in a manner that causes death, a level 3 felony. If convicted, Goode faces a potential sentence of 3-16 years in prison.

Indiana Department of Correction records show Goode has served multiple stints in prison – most recently a year for a charge of theft out of Marion County in 2013. He was sentenced to 2 years in prison in July 2000 on a battery charge, and another 2 years, again for battery, in October 2002.

Goode was scheduled to appear in court Friday morning, but was unable to attend as he remains hospitalized. A new hearing date was scheduled for Aug. 22.

As of Friday afternoon, an internal review of the pursuit remained ongoing. An IMPD spokesman said the department anticipated the review process would continue for some time.

MORE FROM THE CRIME BEAT | Indianapolis sets all-time homicide record for the third year in a row | MAP: Indy's most dangerous neighborhoods | The Night the Sky Caught Fire: The Untold Stories of Richmond Hill | Convicted child molester reveals how he selected & groomed his victims | Teens killed man over weed and a pair of Air Jordans, police say | MAP: 2017 Indianapolis homicides