News and HeadlinesIndianapolis Local NewsCrime


Father, girlfriend arrested after 4-year-old receives life-threatening injuries

Elijah Mills Taylor Abrams.JPG
Posted at 12:13 PM, Nov 18, 2019
and last updated 2019-11-18 12:18:41-05

NOBLESVILLE — A father and his girlfriend have been arrested and police say the man's four-year-old child is fighting for his life.

Noblesville Police Department detectives arrested Elijah Mills and Taylor Abrams over the weekend, both are charged with neglect of a dependent.

According to probable cause documents filed against the couple, Mills is the father of the child, who was rushed to the hospital on November 12. The child was later transported to Riley Hospital for children. Doctors at Riley found bleeding and hemorrages on the brain, skin injuries, broken bones and multiple other forms of trauma. Some of the child's injuries are believed to have occurred as many as three to four weeks prior to his admittance into the hospital.

"The medical findings are life-threatening, unexplained by the history offered, and highly suspicious for inflicted/nonaccidental trauma. Of additional note and concern is a history of multiple prior reports to child protective services, including once for severe unexplained bruising," the probable cause states.

During interviews with detectives, Mills and Abrams both claim the child had fallen on different occasions and was complaining of head and eye pain prior to collapsing inside the home. Mills told detectives he was in the "medical profession" and tell when his child needed medical attention. He also told detectives that he had given the boy 50 mg of CBD oil two days prior for his headache.

Mills told detectives that he would punish the child by making him do exercises, including running and pushups, and he had fallen several times during punishment. He also later admitted to "popping" the child in the head, when he was talking back to him, according to court documents.

Both Mills and Abrams are being held at the Hamilton County Detention Center.

The child's injuries are described as being "life-threatening" but his condition is not known at this time.