NewsLocal NewsCrime


Federal charges filed against man accused of firing rifle at IMPD officers during weekend protests

Jail Handcuffs
Posted at 4:52 PM, Jun 03, 2020
and last updated 2020-06-03 16:52:41-04

INDIANAPOLIS — The United States Attorney's Office has filed charges against a man accused of firing a rifle at officers during weekend protests in downtown Indianapolis.

On Wednesday, U.S. Attorney Josh Minkler charged Antonio Wooden, 23, with unlawful possession of a firearm by a fugitive and unlawful possession of a firearm by an unlawful user of a controlled substance.

“Freedom of speech and the right to protest are freedoms that all American have. Illegally possessing a firearm and firing at police are not.” said Minkler. “Mr. Wooden was not peaceably protesting, he was terrorizing and endangering the lives of those that were, including the police officers”

According to the U.S. Attorney's Office, detectives say Wooden was identified as the man firing an AR-15 style rifle during the protests and riots in downtown Indianapolis on Saturday, May 30. Investigators also have video of Wooden raising a rifle and pointing it in the direction of officers in the area of N. Pennsylvania Avenue and Market Street and firing at least one round. In that same video, Wooden can be seen lowering the rifle and moving east where more gunshots were heard, although he was not seen firing them.

On May 31, 2020 Detectives the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department (IMPD), Crime Gun Intelligence Center (CGIC) learned a male, who was positively identified by IMPD investigators as Antonio Wooden, was firing an AR-15 style rifle during the protest/riots in downtown Indianapolis on Saturday May 30, 2020.

Wooden was arrested on June 2 by IMPD during a traffic stop near his home. A search warrant was served at his home on E. 19th Street and detectives located an American Tactical .223 caliber rifle, a small amount of marijuana, 60 live .223 rounds and two rifle magazines. Inside the home investigators also found goggles and a distinct face mask that police say Wooden had on his person the night of the protests and riots.

According to Assistant United States Attorney Barry Glickman, who is prosecuting this case for the government, Wooden faces up to 10 years’ imprisonment, 3 years of supervised release, and a maximum fine of $250,000.