Grandparents charged in case of Greenfield infant with multiple brain bleeds, broken bones

Posted at 5:41 PM, Dec 11, 2017
and last updated 2017-12-12 17:13:06-05

GREENFIELD, Ind. -- A Greenfield couple has been arrested on charges of neglect of a dependent over injuries that sent their 6-week-old grandson to the intensive care unit.

Isaiah Kimberlin was rushed to the Hancock Regional Hospital emergency room just before 9 p.m. on Nov. 11 in cardiac arrest.

Doctors were able to stabilize Isaiah so that he could be flown to Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital at St. Vincent in Indianapolis.

Once there, Isaiah was placed in the extreme intensive care unit. Doctors determined the infant had two serious brain bleeds, in addition to multiple broken ribs, an injury to his cervical spine and a broken femur.

PREVIOUS | Greenfield infant’s injuries consistent with abuse, doctors unsure if child will survive

Doctors determined the injuries were non-accidental and consistent with Shaken Baby Syndrome. They were also able to determine the brain injuries occurred at different times, and that the femur fracture occurred at least a week prior.

In addition to the physical injuries, doctors found the baby was severely dehydrated. A doctor who worked on placing an intravenous line to give the child fluid said it was like “trying to put a needle in the vein of a deceased person.”

Police questioned the child’s paternal grandparents – Heath Alan Kimberlin and Pearl Elizabeth Holland – about the child’s injuries, as well as the infant’s parents, both juveniles. All four reportedly denied knowing anything about how Isaiah obtained the injuries.

On Friday, Hancock County Prosecutor Brent Eaton’s office filed charges of neglect of a dependent resulting in serious bodily injury against Kimberlin and Holland. The child's parents were also arrested on juvenile charges. Eaton said at a press conference Tuesday that his office had filed a waiver requesting the parents be moved to adult court.

After the infant’s injuries were determined to be non-accidental, Child Protective Services took custody of Isaiah. Court records show a guardianship hearing for the child was scheduled for next Monday. Police said Isaiah was placed until then in the custody of a family member.

According to the affidavit, doctors offered muted hopes for Isaiah’s long-term recovery, writing that “his neurological prognosis is unknown and he is at risk of permanent neurological disability due to his injuries.”

MORE FROM THE CRIME BEAT | MAP: Indy's most dangerous neighborhoods | The Night the Sky Caught Fire: The Untold Stories of Richmond Hill | Convicted child molester reveals how he selected & groomed his victims | Teens killed man over weed and a pair of Air Jordans, police say | MAP: 2017 Indianapolis homicides