INDIANAPOLIS — In August of 2018, Roberto Cisneros was shot to death on the Indianapolis southeast side. Now, the man convicted in that murder has learned his fate.
Antonio Jones will spend the next 58-years behind bars. The sentence was announced Thursday in Marion County Criminal Court.
According to the Marion County Prosecutor, Cisneros was shot during a dispute between him and Jones' mother. The three were inside a car when, according to witnesses, Jones pulled out a gun and shot Cisneros a number of times.
Jones and his mother then fled the scene in their vehicle. Later in the day, police found the car outside Jones' residence. There was broken glass, blood, a spent .22 cartridge and Cisneros' wallet inside the vehicle.
Jones was arrested and was convicted last month during a two-day trial.
"Far too often we see young people use senseless gun violence to resolve minor conflicts," said Prosecutor Ryan Mears, responding to the conviction and sentence.
"We must devote our collective resources to addressing the underlying issues that lead to this violence," said Mears.