INDIANAPOLIS — Indianapolis police said a man is in critical condition following an officer-involved shooting early Saturday morning on the south side.
According to information from the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, officers were investigating an attempted carjacking just before 3 a.m. near the intersection of Wedgewood Drive and Lacy Avenue.
IMPD said the officers found two males matching the description given of the suspects who were walking eastbound in the 2700 block of East Stop 11 Road.
One of the people, Isaiah Batteast, 19, was carrying a rifle, which officers told him to drop. IMPD said he refused and officers shot him.
Batteast was transported to an area hospital in critical condition. He will later be charged on the suspicion of attempted robbery and carrying a handgun without a license, according to IMPD.
The second person, a juvenile male, was taken into custody but is not under arrest as of Saturday evening, IMPD said.
No officers were injured in the incident.
On Saturday evening, IMPD release the following timeline of events based on information from its computer aided dispatch:
- 2:54 a.m.- Southeast District Officers are dispatched to an attempted carjacking. The victim states that two unknown males attempted to take his vehicle at gunpoint. They were not successful and the victim drove to the intersection of Wedgewood Drive and Lacy Drive to wait for officers.
- 2:57 a.m.- Reporting officers (Field Training Officer and Probationary Officer) arrive on scene with victim.
- 3:06 a.m.– Reporting officers order Evidence Technician to the scene for evidence collection.
- 3:10 a.m.- Reporting officers ask control to page a robbery detective for investigatory response.
- 3:33 a.m.- Responding officers (Field Training Officer and Probationary Officer) advise that they have two males matching the given suspect description. Male #1 has a rifle and is not complying with commands to put it down.
- Additional Units begin to back on to the call and respond.
- Officers fired their weapons at the male, striking and effectively disarming him.
- Male #2, a juvenile, complied with officer commands and was taken into custody without incident.
- IEMS medics arrived and transported Male #1 to Eskenazi Hospital in critical condition.
- Male #2 is transported to the Robbery Office.
- Notifications of OIS sent out to command staff.
- MECA Communications Van, Police Officer Support Team (POST) and Indianapolis-Marion County Forensic Services Agency (Crime Lab) are requested to the scene, per standard operating procedure.
- Detectives respond to the hospital and scene for investigation.
- 7:37 a.m.- Incident command terminated.
- Crime Scene released.
Anyone with information should contact the IMPD Homicide Office at 317-327-3475 or Crime Stoppers of Central INdiana at 317-262-8477.