News and HeadlinesIndianapolis Local NewsCrime


Police: Suspect, officer exchange gunfire at southeast gas station

Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 5.18.42 PM.jpg
Posted at 5:29 PM, May 22, 2023
and last updated 2023-05-22 22:13:43-04

INDIANAPOLIS — According to Indiana State Police, a investigation into an armed person making threats lead to shots being exchanged between an officer and a suspect on the southeast side.

According to Sgt. John Perrine, Indiana State Police was assisting with an investigation with the Morristown Police Department for a welfare check of an "armed and delusional" suspect

The suspect was reported to be driving a green a white garbage truck and recently made delusional statements to family members causing them to be concerned for their safety.

At 4:57 p.m. Indiana State Police Sgt. Jonathan Haugh determined that the suspect, an adult male, was at the Speedway Gas station located at 7805 Brookville Road.

According to police, the officer tried to detain the suspect near the southwest side of the gas station and the suspect physically resisted and proceeded to flee on foot towards the front of the gas station.

Police said the suspect then fired shots at the officer. Sgt. Haugh then fired back at the suspect.

Police said the officer approached the suspect, who was on the ground, and they became involved in a second physical altercation to which Sgt. Haugh fired shot again.

After the suspect was handcuffed, Sgt. Haugh began life saving medical aid.

The suspect was then transported to the hospital in critical condition, police said. Sgt. Haugh was not injured.

Police said a hand gun used by the suspect was recovered.

Sgt. haugh was wearing body worn camera as well as a dash camera and both were activated upon his initial arrival at the gas station. He will also be placed on administrative leave per ISP protocol.

"The most important thing to us is that no bystander was hurt," said Sgt. Perrine.

Police said detectives are in the very early stages of this investigation and are expected to remain on scene for several more hours.

Sgt. John Perrine made a post about the incident on Twitter at 5:12 p.m.

Check back for updates.