News and Headlines

Actions

Elderly couple injured after N. side house fire

Posted at 7:29 AM, Mar 28, 2016

INDIANAPOLIS -- A couple in their 70s was hospitalized after a fire burned their house on the north side of Indianapolis. 

The couple, a man and a woman, was woken up around midnight by smoke alarms in their house on the 7500 block of Edgewater Drive.

The house is on a non-hydranted area -- the closest hydrant is four blocks away on 79th Street. 

It took the fire department about two hours to get the fire under control.

Both the man and the woman were taken to Eskenazi Health to be checked out.

The couple believes a discarded cigarette is to blame for the fire. The male occupant said he tried to put out the fire before calling 911. 

The couple has lived in the house for more than 40 years.

-----

Download the new and improved RTV6 app to get the latest news on the go and receive alerts to your phone

Sign up to have the latest news headlines delivered straight to your email inbox