Indianapolis News and Headlines


Family hospitalized for CO poisoning

Posted at 12:26 PM, Apr 25, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-26 00:10:17-04

MARION, Ind. -- A Marion family was hospitalized Sunday, and police suspect carbon monoxide poisoning to be the cause. 

At about noon, Beatrice Brewer, 50, was hospitalized after she was found unresponsive in her grandchildren's house. About six hours later, Lakisha Boyd took her 8-month-old daughter to the hospital after the infant was found unresponsive.

About five hours after that, Wendy Hiday, 33, and the 5-year-old boy she was babysitting were taken to a hospital when the boy was found unresponsive. 

Marion General Hospital treated all four people, and concluded they all had carbon monoxide in their systems. 

Police and fire crews in Marion went to the house on the 2900 block of Boots Street to find the door open. They conducted a chemical test, but didn't find carbon monoxide in the home. 

Officials will be interviewing both parents and investigate the furnace and appliances inside the house on Boots Street. Vehicles owned by the adults will also be investigated.

As of 11 a.m. on Tuesday, both children are in critical condition at Riley Hospital, Brewer is in the Critical Care Unit at Marion General Hospital and Hiday has been released.

For more information on carbon monoxide from the National Fire Protection Association, click here.


Download the new and improved RTV6 app to get the latest news on the go and receive alerts to your phone

Sign up to have the latest news headlines delivered straight to your email inbox