Indianapolis News and Headlines


Family of 6 displaced after house fire

Posted at 6:50 AM, Feb 11, 2016
and last updated 2016-02-11 06:50:39-05

INDIANAPOLIS -- A family of six has been displaced after a house fire on Indianapolis' west side Wednesday night. 

Fire crews say they were dispatched to a house on the 1900 block of West Michigan Avenue at around 11 p.m.

The house was rented by a man and a woman, and four children, ages 14, 12, 10 and 5. 

The family was on the first floor and found out about the fire when the 14-year-old went upstairs and saw heavy smoke.
Fire crews say overloaded improper wiring is to blame. The family said the fire started on the second floor where the homeowner had been replacing the electrical wiring.
They had a space heater downstairs with an extension cord running upstairs to the second floor. Fire officials say to plug in space heaters directly into the wall. 
The man had to be taken to Eskenazi Health and was checked out for smoke inhalation. 

The family and pets -- which were unhurt -- will be staying with relatives.