News

Actions

Family of 7 displaced by Tuesday AM house fire

Family of 7 displaced by house fire
Posted at 6:25 AM, Jan 05, 2016
and last updated 2016-01-05 06:56:05-05

INDIANAPOLIS -- A family of seven people escaped without major injury when their house caught fire early Tuesday morning.

The Indianapolis Fire Department was called to a fire on the 3300 block of Argyle Court at 12:41 a.m.

A space heater inside the house was too close to a nearby chair, catching it on fire, the family said. 

IFD officials say to keep a 3-foot perimeter around a space heater, and to not leave it unattended.

The home was occupied by a family of seven at the time, including three children ages 17, 14 and 10. The 14-year-old woke up, smelled something burning and alerted the family members to the fire.

Two other family members were not home at the time of the fire. 

There were no working smoke alarms in the house. Anybody who needs a smoke detector should call 327-6093.

One of the occupants was taken to Community East Hospital when they had difficulty breathing. 

The damage to the house is estimated at $80,000.

-----

Download the new and improved RTV6 app to get the latest news on the go and receive alerts to your phone

Sign up to have the latest news headlines delivered straight to your email inbox