FISHERS, Ind. -- The Fishers Police Department is asking all residents in the area to stay vigilant of house burglaries.
On Monday afternoon, police responded to a burglary of a house near the intersection of 116th Street and Olio Road.
The homeowner was alerted by his barking dog. When he went to the living room to see what was going on, he saw a stranger in his living room, who jumped out an open window.
The homeowner said the suspect was a white man wearing a florescent yellow or orange-colored vest. Anybody living in the area with an exterior security camera should contact Fishers Police.
Also on Monday, two cars were broken into along the 96th Street business district.
Police say there were also two incidents in late March where the doors to houses were kicked in and a man was seen running from the Plantana neighborhood area.
The suspect from Monday's burglary is still missing.
Call 911 immediately if you see something suspicious.
Police offered the following examples of suspicious activity.
- An event that is out of the ordinary or that makes you feel uncomfortable could be a crime in progress.
- Adults or juveniles walking casually through the neighborhood looking into windows, backyards, vehicles, etc.
- A vehicle driving slowly through your neighborhood with or without lights on.
- Something wakes you in the night.
- Someone you don’t know rings your doorbell.
- An unknown car parked near your home containing one or more people.\
Police also offer these home safety tips:
- Install exterior lights at all entrances. Consider motion detector lights.
- Install a wide-angle viewer on all exterior doors.
- Check who is at the door and do not open the door to anyone you don’t know.
- Install good locks on all doors and windows. Use those locks!
- Be sure locks on doors and windows can be opened quickly in case of fire.
- Leave a light on when you are not home. If you are on vacation, use a timer to control lighting.
- Don’t hide keys outside.
- Remove house keys from your keychain when your car is serviced.
- Talk with trusted neighbors. Keep an eye on their house and ask them to watch yours.
- Stop mail and newspaper delivery when you are away.
- Install an alarm system that will detect entry and notify police.
- Have your lawn mowed and snow shoveled when away.
- Close garage doors at night.
- Keep trees and bushes trimmed. Do not let plants block doors and windows.