NewsLocal News


How to report illegal fireworks, gunshots and loud parties on New Year's Eve in Marion County

If it's not an emergency — don't call 911
911 VS 311.png
Posted at 7:34 AM, Dec 31, 2019
and last updated 2019-12-31 07:34:17-05

MARION CO. — The Marion County Sheriff's 911 Center has asked for the public to remember not to call 911 for nuisances this New Year's Eve — emergencies only.

New Year's Eve is one of the busiest nights of the year for the MCSO 911 Center as they prepare to answer thousands of calls. Many of which are not, what they say, are true emergencies.

"Citizens in Marion County are asked NOT to call 911 to report illegal fireworks and/or loud parties, which are a nuisance but not an emergency, in an effort to keep dispatchers available to handle true life or death emergencies," MCSO said in a release.

The Marion County Non-Emergency line is 317-327-3811, or 311.

MCSO Dispatchers also offered the following tips to citizens on when to call 911 on New Year’s Eve:

  • Call 911 to report a suspected drunk driver.
  • If you see someone firing a gun, call 911.
  • If you see an assault, disturbance or fight call 911.
  • Always call 911 for a medical and/or fire emergency.
  • If you accidentally called 911 and did not realize it; don't hang up. Dispatchers will have to call you back which will only tie up their valuable time.
  • When reporting an emergency, always call 911 if you can... only text when you must.
911 VS 311.png