Indianapolis News and Headlines

Actions

Cigarette catches woman's hair on fire, spreads

WRTV_Promo_Image_960x720.png
Posted at 9:42 PM, Feb 11, 2016
and last updated 2016-02-11 22:27:38-05

INDIANAPOLIS -- Firefighters say an apartment unit was damaged on the city's northwest side after a woman's hair caught fire when she lit a cigarette. 

The fire happened in the 3200 block of Lupine Drive just before 8:30 p.m. 

The woman told firefighters she was getting ready to go out when she lit the cigarette and her hair started to burn. She tried to put it out, but the fire spread. 

The woman and a dog were able to get out of the home.

She was taken to Eskenazi Hospital in serious condition. 

-----

Download the new and improved RTV6 app to get the latest news on the go and receive alerts to your phone

Sign up to have the latest news headlines delivered straight to your email inbox