News and HeadlinesIndianapolis Local News


IMPD identifies five officers involved in fatal police-involved shooting

Suspect shot near East 38th Street and North Keystone
Posted at 8:08 PM, Aug 07, 2020

INDIANAPOLIS — The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department has released the names and personnel records of five officers involved in the fatal shooting of a man in the 3600 block of North Parker Avenue on July 18.

The policemen are:

  • Officer Evan Matheis, 5 year IMPD veteran, Officer of the Month in 2016, received Medal of Valor.
  • Officer Dwayne Mills, 2 year IMPD veteran
  • Sergeant John Perkins, 24 year IMPD veteran, received Medal of Bravery and Medal of Valor along with numerous commendations.
  • Officer Lee Rabensteine, 10 year IMPD veteran, received Medal of Bravery and Medal of Valor.
  • Officer Klinton Streeter, 11 year IMPD veteran, received Medal of Bravery.

None of the five have any disciplinary incidents on their records. The case remains under review by IMPD.

Killed in the shootout was 35-year-old Grant King.

Police said officers were called late on July 18 to a home in the 3600 block of North Parker Avenue on a report of a domestic/family disturbance between a woman and her nephew. The woman said her nephew had a gun, was on the porch and was intoxicated.

Four minutes later, two IMPD officers arrived on the scene in full uniform and in fully-marked police vehicles. The officers called for backup.

As police approached the house, IMPD said King came outside and immediately began firing a gun at the officers. Bullets fired by the man struck at least three nearby homes, narrowly missing occupants in one house where a 21-month-old girl was sleeping with her grandmother.

"One officer returned fire, and King immediately went back into the residence," IMPD's report said.

IMPD's SWAT and Crisis Negotiation teams arrived, after the man barricaded himself inside the house. Police said King stopped communicating with officers after several hours of negotiations.

"IMPD SWAT team administered gas to the residence in efforts towards a peaceful resolution. IMPD Crisis Negotiation team continued to make several efforts to communicate with the suspect," IMPD's report said. "Due to possible on-going medical concerns communicated to the negotiations team, the SWAT team determined it was necessary to make entry into the residence to determine the individual’s safety."

When the SWAT team entered the house, the suspect again fired at police. Officers returned fire, and the man was hit, according to IMPD.

No officers were injured.