Indianapolis News and Headlines


Indianapolis police officer, accused of shooting a detective, charged with attempted murder

Officer arrested after a standoff in Cincinnati
Posted at 11:19 PM, Jul 29, 2016
and last updated 2016-08-02 13:06:33-04

INDIANAPOLIS -- An off-duty IMPD officer traded gunfire with a detective at a south side apartment complex Friday night – beginning an hours-long search that ended in handcuffs along a Cincinnati interstate.

The situation began with a call around 8:00 p.m. about a domestic situation on the 6700 block of Valley Brook Way.

An IMPD detective with the Special Investigations Unit was dispatched to the scene after it was determined that the call involved an 18-year veteran of IMPD and his estranged wife.

According to IMPD Major Richard Riddle, the off-duty officer was already the subject of a criminal investigation by the department. The investigation also involved Aurs' wife.

Police identified the suspect as 42-year-old Adrian Scott Aurs. Before Friday, Aurs had made the news for his acts of heroism – and, on two occasions, for his own run-ins with the law. Click the image below to read more about him: 

Riddle said the detective was interviewing the Aurs' family when he returned to the apartment.

A witness, who identified Aurs from a photo lineup, said she saw him standing outside the apartment Friday night "holding a gun in his hand and having a crazed look on his face," according to official documents. 

According to the charging document, Aurs shot at the detective, Robert Pearsey, three times, hitting him in the right side and arm. Pearsey fired back, but didn't hit Aurs.

Pearsey was rushed to Methodist Hospital, where it was determined he hadn't suffered life-threatening injuries. He was listed in "good" condition.

Riddle said the Aurs' estranged wife and children were in the apartment at the time of the shooting, but were not injured.

After the shooting, Aurs fled the scene with his police radio and computer.

Shortly before 2 a.m., Indianapolis police learned that Aurs was engaged in a standoff situation 100 miles away with Cincinnati police near the Brent Spence Bridge.

Aurs, 42, was eventually taken into custody after an hour-long standoff with police. He surrendered without incident. 

An arrest warrant was issued from Marion County charging Aurs with attempted murder. A spokesman for Cincinnati police say he's unlikely to face charges there.

Police say Aurs will be extradited back to Indianapolis to be processed. They are also working to get a search warrant for Aurs' personal vehicle.

IMPD detectives collected Aurs' badge and his police ID. He's been suspended pending his termination.

The detective was the second IMPD officer shot this week. 

PREVIOUS | IMPD officer shot, suspect killed after chase

On Monday, an officer was shot on the northwest side by a suspect fleeing a traffic stop. That suspect, 31-year-old Jeff Cornell Tyson, was eventually killed in a shootout with police after leading them on a miles-long chase through Indianapolis.

That officer was taken to the hospital, and released the following day.