INDIANAPOLIS -- A man is dead after police say he was shot while trying to chase two men who stole an item from him Friday evening.
Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department officers responded to an apartment complex near Ditch Road and W 75th Street just before 6:30 p.m. for a report of a person who had been shot.
Witnesses told police that the victim was meeting with two men at the apartment complex to sell them an electronic device when the two men grabbed the item and took off.
Police say the victim ran after the two thieves and they fired at him, striking him at least once. The man was pronounced dead at the scene. His identity has not been released.
The shooting remains under investigation by the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department.
The following is a list of tips to keep yourself safe when meeting someone to sell an item through an online transaction.
- Meet in a public place or even better, at a police station or secure meeting site.
- Always meet during the day.
- Tell someone what you're doing and where you're going before meeting anyone you don’t know.
- Never meet at a home. Yours or someone else’s.
- Keep your cell phone close.
- Don't pay in cash - use Paypal or something similar that allows you to pay someone for an item online.
- Never give chase, if someone takes an item call police.
- If you don't feel safe, turn around and go home - trust your instincts.
MORE TOP STORIES | Person riding scooter struck by vehicle in downtown Indy | Two Boone County teens killed by father in double murder-suicide | Teen who died in crash during pursuit was heading to Kokomo to harm another student | What to do if you have an unburied cable in your yard | Nursing Board denies transfer of Harrison College credits to National Academy
Top Trending Videos