Actions

Thousands of dollars set aside for laid-off Carrier workers still unclaimed

Posted at 11:50 PM, Dec 05, 2017
and last updated 2017-12-05 23:50:42-05

INDIANAPOLIS -- The city of Indianapolis is still holding tens of thousands of dollars meant to help former Carrier workers who were laid off when the company moved part of its operations to Monterrey, Mexico earlier this year.

Carrier returned $1.2 million to Indianapolis, which city leaders decided they would invest in the workers who were hurt by the company’s move.

The city created a fund to help the 260 eligible workers, but they say only 60 of those workers have come forward to claim their share.

Each worker impacted by the move is eligible to claim $1,000 to use on a mortgage payment, utilities, transportation or any other expense related to their job loss.

The only string attached to claiming the money is that the former employee has to be actively searching for work.

READ | Full Carrier Coverage

“We will once again reach out to our members and ask them to participate,” said United Steelworkers Union President Robert James. “We would not want it to go back somewhere else when it can be useful to the employees to help them in their time of need.”

The best way for former Carrier workers to apply for the funds is to visit IndyCareerHub.org.

The next wave of employees that will be laid off at the Carrier plant next month will also be eligible for part of the fund.

MORE TOP STORIES | Sisters killed in suspected double murder-suicide were Roncalli alumnae | IU Health says nurse tied to controversial tweets no longer employed | CBD oil declared illegal in Indiana by Attorney General | PC: women held, beaten for days in basement of east side drug house | Men shot, beat pregnant woman in the street while two other victims lay dying, police say | Dr. Kevin Rogers, IU School of Medicine Director, died from gunshot wounds 

Top Trending Videos