What to do if you still don't have your W-2

Posted at 6:50 AM, Mar 02, 2018

INDIANAPOLIS -- In order to file your income taxes you'll need a copy of your W-2 from your employer, but what should you do if you haven't received one yet or your employer closed before the end of the year?

If you’re still waiting to file your taxes because you haven’t received your W-2 from your employer there are a few steps you can take.

1. Call the company

Your employer had until January 31 to mail out your W-2, so if you haven’t received it by now there could have been an issue with the mailing. Call the company’s payroll or human resources department and make sure it wasn’t sent back to them as undeliverable. If it was an address issue, updating your information on file and asking them to reissue your W-2 should solve the problem. If the company you worked for is out of business or you’re unable to reach an HR or payroll department you’ll likely have to follow the next few steps instead.

2. Contact the IRS

If you’ve tried contacting the company and there’s no way to get ahold of them contacting the IRS is your next step. You can call the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-1040 and make sure you have the following information handy:

  • Your name, address, phone number and Social Security number
  • Your employer’s name, address and phone number
  • The dates you were employed
  • An estimate of your wages and federal income tax from last year. The best way to offer this is to have your last pay stub handy.

3. File your taxes without a W-2

After contacting the IRS, you can either continue to wait for your W-2 or paper-file your return and submit a Form 4852 -as a substitute for your W-2 with your return. Form 4852 will ask you to estimate your wages and taxes withheld. You can attach your final pay stub to the form as well for proof.

MORE TOP STORIES | No survivors in Indiana plane crash, police report | IMPD: Woman threw feces at Menards employee | Center Grove High School student dies in Greenwood crash with animal control officer | Sunday alcohol sales passes Senate and House, will become law as soon as governor signs it | Davey Blackburn's unpublished book could be used in wife's murder trial

Top Trending Videos