INDIANAPOLIS — The Indiana Independent Venue Alliance (IIVA) launched a statewide sock drive on Friday to collect new socks for individuals experiencing homelessness in Indianapolis.
They're calling the month-long event "Sock On," in which various venues from across the state will collect new, factory-sealed sock donations from the community.
All sock donations will then be given to Horizon House, a full-service agency in Indianapolis that helps people experiencing homelessness, to ensure the items are given to the people and communities that need them the most.
"After nearly a year of fighting for venues to stay open in the wake of COVID-19’s elimination of the music industry, the IIVA understands firsthand the importance of appreciating even the smallest act of kindness. Donations from live music fans have been the driving force that has helped our independent venues survive for the last 10 months," IIVA wrote in a release for the Sock On event.
"With winter here, and many residents in need, the IIVA is giving back to help our friends currently experiencing hard times. Lend a hand and show your support with something often taken for granted - a new pair of socks."
Here's where you can drop off new pairs of socks between Friday, Jan. 15 and Sunday, Feb. 14:
- White Rabbit Cabaret: 1116 Prospect St, Indianapolis, IN 46203 — During operational hours only
- Zonie’s Closet: 1446 E Washington St, Indianapolis, IN 46201 — During operational hours only
- Mousetrap: 5565 N Keystone Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46220 — Open daily 11 a.m. - 2 a.m.
- The Jazz Kitchen: 5377 N College Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46220 — During operational hours only
- Melody Inn: 3826 N Illinois St, Indianapolis, IN 46208 — During operational hours only
- Carnahan Hall: 2200 Elmwood Ave Suite A6, Lafayette, IN 47904 — Drop off available Tuesdays between 3 p.m. - 7 p.m.
- Brown County Music Center: 200 Maple Leaf Blvd, Nashville, IN 47448 — During operational hours only
- HI-FI: 1043 Virginia Ave Suite #4 Indianapolis, IN 46203 — Drop off during pop-up hours