INDIANAPOLIS — A man was transported to the hospital in serious condition on Wednesday night after a house fire on the west side of Indianapolis, according to the Indianapolis Fire Department.
IFD was dispatched to 4137 Patricia Street after calls of a heavy fire at the residence. The first unit was on the scene at 9:22 p.m., just three minutes after being dispatched.
All occupants of the household, a husband and wife, and their two dogs were out of the house by 9:24 p.m., according to IFD public information officer Rita Reith.
The 46-year-old man was transported to Eskenazi Hospital in serious condition. The 51-year-old woman was checked and released at the scene. The couple's dogs were checked and released as well.
"Occupants told firefighters that the husband was putting gas into the generator in the garage when the generator caught fire," IFD's advisory read. "The fire ripped through the entire structure and did significant damage."