News

Actions

Muncie man says his Samsung Galaxy Note 7 caught fire

Smartphone is subject of nationwide recall
Posted at 6:33 AM, Sep 22, 2016
and last updated 2016-09-22 06:33:29-04

MUNCIE, Ind. -- A Muncie man says he's lucky nothing else caught fire when he says his Samsung Galaxy Note 7 burst into flames Wednesday morning.

Philippe Curtis says he plugged his phone in the garage to charge while his daughters were getting ready for school.

Curtis says moments later, one of the girls came running up to him saying, 'Daddy, smoke,' and the Galaxy Note 7 was on fire. 

He threw the phone out of the garage so it wouldn't catch anything else on fire.

Curtis says he took the phone to get a replacement but one wasn't available, so he was waiting until Wednesday to exchange it.

Samsung shipped more than 500,000 replacement phones to carriers across the country on Tuesday.

RELATED | Samsung tries to put out the fire by ramping up Galaxy note 7 recall

Curtis says he also plans to file a report with Samsung.

Last week, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission told owners of the Galaxy Note 7 to stop using the smartphone because the batteries can explode.

At the time, Samsung said it had confirmed 35 instances of the problem, out of 2.5 million phones sold.