NewsLocal News

Actions

Noblesville firefighters put out small fire at Hamilton County Jail

fire at Hamilton County Jail.jpg
Posted at 10:29 PM, Jun 16, 2020
and last updated 2020-06-17 16:07:53-04

UPDATE: The Noblesville Fire Department on Wednesday said a small fire at the Hamilton County Jail late Tuesday was caused by an electrical malfunction in a solar panel on the roof of the jail. Damage was confined to two solar panels and a small part of the rubber membrane that covers the roof, fire officials said.

NOBLESVILLE — Noblesville firefighters put out a small fire at the Hamilton County Jail late Tuesday.

According to a report from the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office, a citizen 911 caller reported smoke coming from the southeast corner of the Hamilton County Jail at 8:35 p.m. Tuesday. Dispatchers notified staff of the situation and staff swiftly ensured that every inmate was safe, the sheriff's office said.

The Noblesville Fire Department arrived on scene at 8:40 p.m. and observed smoke near the east side of the roof. The sheriff's office said it was a small electrical fire that was extinguished with no injuries to inmates or jail staff. There was only minor non-structural damage reported to the exterior of the building, the sheriff's office said.