NewsLocal News


Suspect in Indianapolis Kroger murder pleads guilty

Shot and stabbed man inside south side supermarket
Posted at 3:39 PM, Dec 16, 2019
and last updated 2019-12-16 15:39:48-05

INDIANAPOLIS — Shoppers looked on in horror as a man was stabbed and shot to death inside a south side Indianapolis Kroger.

Now, the suspect in that October 2017 murder is pleading guilty on the same day he was supposed to go on trial.

Monday In Marion County Criminal Court, 39-year-old Jason Cooper pleaded guilty to murder charges. As part of a plea agreement, charges of Resisting Law Enforcement, and Robbery Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury were dropped. Copper will be sentenced December 30.

43-year-old Carlos Castro was murdered inside the Kroger at 4202 South East Street. According to information from police and the Marion County Prosecutor, Castro was stabbed three times and shot twice with his own gun after he refused to give up his cellphone.

First responders arrived to find another customer performing CPR on Castro, but medics declared him dead at the scene a short time later.

PREVIOUS | PC: Kroger attacker asked victim where knives were before stabbing, shooting him

Meanwhile, police say Cooper was leading them on a high-speed chase that ended near the intersection of U.S. 31 and Stop 12 Road – where Cooper crashed into two unoccupied vehicles in the Hubler Nissan dealership lot.

While officers were escorting Cooper in handcuffs back to a police vehicle, they reported he continued to yell, “I did the right thing. I did the right thing,” over and over.

Police said Cooper had dried blood on his hands and clothing. A black hand gun with blood on it was also reportedly found in the back of the car he’d been driving.

According to the probable cause affidavit, a witness told police she saw Cooper telling Castro repeatedly to give him his phone.

When Castro refused, the witness said she saw Cooper pull out a knife and stab Castro in the throat. Before she fled to the back of the store, the witness said she saw Cooper shoot Castro once, then place his foot on his chest and shoot him again.

After the attack, witnesses told police Cooper ran outside, where he allegedly fired his gun into the air before running up to a car and demanding the driver get out, saying, “I’m sorry ma’am, I need your car now!”

Cooper allegedly later told police he didn’t want to hurt the lady in the car because “she was nice.”

According to the affidavit, Cooper appeared nervous and twitchy and was “speaking fast and unable to focus on one topic” when he was arrested.

A SWAT medic who checked out Cooper said the man continued to make unsolicited comments about the attack, despite the medic repeatedly telling him he was only concerned about his medical issues.

According to the medic, Cooper told him, “I didn’t want to shoot the guy, but he pointed the gun at me, so I got a knife and stabbed him.” Another officer reported that Cooper told him, “Sometimes you can look at someone and know what they’re thinking. So when he made a move, I stuck him with the knife.”

Investigators believe Castro was shot with his own gun. Police said family members confirmed that Castro regularly carried a 9mm – the same caliber of gun found in the back of the car Cooper was driving.

An autopsy determined Castro had been shot in the head and left flank, and had been stabbed in the chest, the neck and in the left side. The examiner determined both gunshots and the stab wound to the chest would have been lethal.

Copyright 2019 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broad