As Indiana residents assess the storm damage left behind, we want to warn you about storm clean-up scams.
While you may want to get your home fixed (especially your roof) as soon as possible after a storm, there are people out there looking to take advantage of you.
Here are a few items that will help you make the right decision when it comes to hiring a contractor to fix the damage:
- Call your insurance company, file a claim and check to see which contractors are on the company’s approved list.
- Even better: Understand your insurance policy coverage before the storm hits. Never sign over your homeowner’s insurance settlement up front and avoid a company that offers to pay or help with your deductible.
- State law requires a written contract for anything above $150 that should be detailed with the job expectations and a start and end time for the contractor.
- Do not pay in full. Pay as the work gets done. A company that demands payment up front should be carefully considered.
- Look to see whether a company is local. Do they have marked trucks/vehicles? Do they have a local phone number?
- Keep a wary eye out for discounts. Scammers often try to strong-arm homeowners into signing a contract on the spot for a discount. Angie’s List says a deal today should be a deal tomorrow as well.