INDIANAPOLIS -- Sixteen people are without a home after an apartment fire on the city's south side early Saturday morning.
The fire happened at the Dakota Ridge Apartments located at 6535 Hot Springs Way around 1:19 a.m.
Several fire crews were called to the scene.
Neighbors made sure everyone got out on time.
"I woke up to everyone screaming and banging on windows saying, 'Get out! Get out! We're on fire!' Probably the scariest sound I've ever heard in my life," Shelby Southerland said.
Officials say the fire started accidentally, possibly from a cigarette that was not properly put out.
"At that point, it was kind of a do or die situation. So I grabbed a pitcher of water hoping it was small enough that might do it," Josh Lawson said.
It is estimated the fire caused $500,000 in damage. The Red Cross is helping the victims with their immediate needs.
"Take it as it is for now and hope. Luckily we have a great circle of friends and family that are willing to help us out," Lawson said.