After he and his family escaped their burning mobile home, a 22-year-old man went back inside to get his phone. The decision killed him.
According to South Carolina's WSPA-TV, the unidentified man was found dead in a bedroom inside the destroyed mobile home in Anderson on Friday morning.
When the fire started, the victim, his female fiance and a teenager got out of the single-wide trailer alive. But the man decided to go back inside to grab his phone and apparently got trapped, the Anderson County coroner told WSPA.
The fire started around 3 a.m. local time and may have been caused by a cigarette, according to investigators.
Clint Davis is a reporter for the Scripps National Desk. Follow him on Twitter @MrClintDavis. Keep up to date with the latest news by following @ScrippsNational on Twitter.