News and HeadlinesWorking For You


Indianapolis woman says city hasn't picked up heavy trash

Posted at 7:32 PM, Jul 17, 2019

INDIANAPOLIS — An Indianapolis woman says the Department of Public Works didn't pick up her bulky trash on July Tuesday, July 2, and now it's been sitting for a couple of weeks. After numerous calls to the city, Tonya Bowen decided to call RTV6.

"The regular trash guy picked up a table that he could put in his truck and then the heavy trash truck never came through," Bowen said.

Bowen says she put her heavy trash in the alley behind her house — the same place she puts it every month. But on July 2, city crews did not pick up her trash.

"I've contacted the city, contacting the Mayor's Action Center and the Department of Public Works six times and I still have my trash," Bowen said.

In Indianapolis, DPW crews collect heavy trash once a month, in Bowen's case, it's the first Tuesday of every month. By July 3, the next day, she called the Mayor's Action Center.

"So the following day I contacted them, they were supposed to be out within 48 hours and nothing," Bowen said. She then called back again on July 8.

"I called back, and then they were going to send out an inspector, so then the following day I called them, and they said the inspector said there was nothing here," Bowen said.

Bowen says her call was then sent to a supervisor, but she never heard back. On July 15, she called the Mayor's Action Line again and put in a call to the DPW supervisor.

"Then he told me that I waited too long as it had been two weeks and that I should've called the day after," Bowen said. "I told them, maybe like my third call to them, that I was tempted to call 6 [RTV6] for help and see if maybe then my trash will be picked up. But maybe they thought I was blowing them smoke so here we are."

There's no doubt about it, the trash is still in the alley, but according to the city's website, this case was resolved more than a week ago.

Bowen says she is not asking for much and just wants the trash picked up.

"It's sat here since July 2. Something needs to be done," she said. "They need to do their job and pick up the trash it's once a month."

RTV6 contacted DPW with Bowen's concerns, and a spokesperson told RTV6 they're now actively looking into the issue and may be able to give some information leading to a resolution by tomorrow.