INDIANAPOLIS — The need for blood donations is at a "critical" level, according to the Versiti Blood Center of Indiana.
Your chance to donate is coming up this Saturday, December 12, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Lucas Oil Stadium. Parking is free in the stadium's south lot. Donors should enter through the east entrance to Lucas.
The event is the 21st annual Bleed Blue Blood Drive, a partnership between the Colts and Versiti.
Donating blood helps ensure that Versiti’s Indiana hospital partners can meet patient needs during the holiday season and into 2021. And blood donations are needed more than ever because of coronavirus.
O-negative blood is especially needed as that blood type can be transfused to patients with any blood type. O-negative blood is carried on emergency air transport and is found in hospital emergency rooms for situations when there is no time to determine a patient's blood type.
Versiti will also be accepting COVID-19 convalescent plasma donations at Bleed Blue. Antibody-rich plasma donations from those who were infected with coronavirus and have recovered are proving vital to help others recover from the virus and are critically needed at this time.
Here are some thing you need to know if you would like to donate on Saturday.
- You'll receive a souvenir football, featuring Colts cornerback Kenny Moore.
- Unlike previous years, there will be no babysitting available. Donors are asked to not bring additional visitors or family with them during their donation.
- Because of COVID-19, there will be no games and other activities on the field.
- Field access will be limited to a single photo-opportunity station at which donors can take their own photos.
- Pre-screenings will be conducted at multiple Lucas Oil Stadium checkpoints prior to every donor appointment to ensure everyone’s total safety. Each donor will be temperature- and symptom-screened before entering the donor area.
- Masks are required.
- Donating blood takes about an hour. Anyone age 17 or older in good health who meets eligibility requirements can give.
- Parental consent is required for donors age 16.
- Donors should bring a photo ID that includes their birth date.
- Appointments are encouraged but walk-ins are always welcome. To schedule an appointment to donate blood, call 1-317-916-5150 or visit Versiti online [u7061146.ct.sendgrid.net].