SportsIndianapolis 500

Actions

'I don't want to go this way:' Tony Kanaan announces he will race again in 2021

Posted at 10:32 AM, Aug 23, 2020
and last updated 2020-08-24 08:28:19-04

INDIANAPOLIS — In a live interview with WRTV's Sports Director Dave Furst, Tony Kanaan announced he would be coming back to race another year in 2021.

Kanaan had initially announced that 2020 would be his last year as a primary driver in the IndyCar series in January. However, the former Indianapolis 500 winner says he doesn't want to leave without his fans getting to see him race at the track, in person, one last time.

"I'm not a guy to change his mind ... I don't change my mind very often," Kanaan said. "But, you guys know what this place means to me, and I know what this place means to the fans and what they made me feel when I was here. So, I change my mind. I don't think its fair for me to go without them (the fans) seeing me. I don't want to go this way."

Kanaan talks more about next year and what returning may or may not look like for his team in the video above.

Kanaan, born in Salvador de Bahia, Brazil, was the 2004 NTT IndyCar Series champion and 2013 Indianapolis 500 winner. He's had 17 total race wins and 15 total poles.

He is IndyCar’s Ironman, having driven a record 317 consecutive races. His streak started in June 2001 in Portland.

Kanaan has been WRTV's Trackside 6 driver analyst since 2009.