INDIANAPOLIS — Get ready. The initial work on the $320 million re-build of the North Split in Indianapolis will begin next week, according to the Indiana Department of Transportation.
The interchange, where Interstates 65 and 70 come together, was outdated not long after it opened in the 1970's. By the time the new construction is done, there should be fewer accidents and better traffic flow.
Here is what you should expect as the project unfolds:
- Overnight lane closures along the left and right shoulders of I-65 from near the 21st St. exit (mile marker 114), through the North Split, and along I-70 near Emerson Ave. (mile marker 88) to the North Split. Work is expected along both the highway and ramp shoulders for installation of signage and traffic control measures. The impact to traffic is expected to be minimal with lane closures scheduled to begin at 10 p.m. each night beginning Mon., Dec. 14 and completed by 5 a.m. each morning ending Sat., Dec. 19, weather dependent.
- Crews will complete milling and temporary pavement work along the inside left shoulder of the I-65/I-70 southbound exit ramp to Michigan St. Overnight closures from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. are expected on Tues., Dec.15 and Wed., Dec. 16, weather dependent. The inside left shoulder and left lane (from mile markers 112.3 to 112.9) will be closed to complete this work in preparation for the upcoming Michigan St. ramp closure.
- Overnight lane and shoulder closures will be in place along eastbound I-70 between mile markers 83 and 85 (Rural St./Keystone Ave.) the evenings of Mon., Dec. 21 and Tues., Dec. 22, weather dependent. During this time, the inside left shoulder and left lane of the I-65 southbound to 1-70 eastbound ramp will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. the next morning while crews demolish the existing barrier wall to place temporary pavement for a future traffic shift.
Additional construction activity will begin in January, with these projects:
- In January 2021, construction crews will close the ramp from I-65/I-70 southbound to Michigan St. The Michigan St. ramp will remain closed until May 2021, and the Ohio St. and Fletcher Ave. ramps will remain open throughout the duration of the Michigan St. ramp closure.
- Also, beginning in January 2021, bridge demolition and reconstruction activities will occur throughout the project area, and intermittent, overnight lane closures will be required. Closures along adjacent streets are not allowed to maintain traffic flow and access. Local street closures from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. may occur at the following locations:
- Roosevelt Ave. at Commerce Ave. under I-70 eastbound
- Central Ave. under the I-65 southbound entrance ramp and I-65 northbound exit ramp
- Alabama St. under I-65 east-and-westbound
- N. Delaware St. under I-65 east-and-westbound
- St. Clair St. under northbound and southbound I-65/I-70
Detailed maps with closure and access information can be found here: https://northsplit.com/maps/ [lnks.gd]