INDIANAPOLIS — The 500 festival is suspending or canceling all in-person events, including the OneAmerica mini-marathon, through May 9 to help slow the spread of COVID-19.
The OneAmerica mini-marathon and the Delta Dental 500 Festival 5k, scheduled for May 2, will move to virtual races, according to a press release from the 500 Festival. Those who registered for the races will receive details on how to participate virtually and still earn a shirt and metal.
The other following events will be moved to virtual events, rescheduled, or canceled, according to the press release:
- 500 Festival Kick Off to May, presented by STAR Bank (April 29) – The in-person event will NOT take place. There will be an announcement soon regarding ways the community can participate virtually.
- Salesforce & JPMorgan Chase 500 Festival Kids’ Day and Rookie Run (May 9) – The in-person event will NOT take place. We will reschedule this event to another date as guidance related to public events is provided.
- 500 Festival Mini-Marathon Expo (April 30 & May 1) – The in-person event will NOT take place. Virtual goodie bags will be sent to participants.
- All 500 Festival & Indianapolis 500 Education Program Study Trips at IMS (April 2020) – All in-person events will NOT take place. Schools will be mailed some additional materials.
- This list is in addition to the other 500 Festival event cancelations that were announced last week.
“The 500 Festival recognizes the unique and challenging times that we are all facing together," Bob Bryant, president and CEO of the 500 Festival, said in the press release. "May will certainly look different than the last 60+ years but with options to participate virtually or to reschedule some events to a future date we are confident that the future looks bright and the things we hold dearly will continue albeit in a different form. As a community nonprofit organization, the 500 Festival looks forward to providing events and programs that enrich lives, foster positive community impact and celebrate the Indy 500. To our participants, volunteers, interns, corporate and civic partners – Thank you for your support!”
The 500 Festival is working to give participants an on-track running and walking experience at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, according to the release. A date for this event has not yet been determined.
You can view more information about the events on the 500 Festival's website.